African Population and Health Research Center
The APHRC seeks to recruit an Associate Research Scientist – Health Economist to work in the West Africa Regional Office (WARO) in Senegal.
- Contribute to the development of information systems and provision of analytical methodological support and advices to researchers;
- Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects in the unit;
- Provide statistical advice and support to researchers developing proposals and writing scientific papers;
- Supervise and mentor junior staff to contribute to the design of proposals for grant applications, scientific writing analytical support and/or information systems development;
- Supervise and mentor junior staff to conduct literature reviews;
- Ensure the recruitment, training and supervision of field interviewers;
- Oversee/lead development of field and training manuals;
- Ensure ethical approvals and research permits are obtained;
- Oversee fieldwork in the execution of the research projects to ensure timely implementation of field activities;
- Ensure community mobilization and education of the community in relation to the research;
- Contribute to the development of project reports;
- Contribute to institutional publications including and not limited to lay dissemination materials such as policy/research briefs and fact sheets;
- Contribute to policy engagement and the unit’s strategic planning;
- Contribute to cultivation of relations with key institutional donors;
- Represent the Center at high level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees; and
- Define own area of research interest through developing proposals, concept notes and publishing in the area.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Statistics, Data Science, Econometrics, Demography, Public Health, Sociology or equivalent in related disciplines.
- Have 3-5 years of relevant post-doctoral experience.
- Strong writing skills and good record of publications, which utilize defined analytical methodologies.
- Experience in developing proposals. Evidence of previous successful grants will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in managing research projects, including experience in conducting, coordinating and managing surveys.
- Proven experience in conducting desk reviews.
- Strong quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data), with good familiarity with quantitative statistical packages (e.g. STATA, R).
- Expertise in qualitative methods, including familiarity with qualitative analysis software packages (e.g. NVivo) will be an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
- Experience working in Francophone West Africa.
- Must fluently communicate and write in English and French.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English and include:
- A letter of application;
- A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
via email to [email protected] with the subject ‘Health Economist’ by September 14, 2021.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
Immeuble Diallo Lô, 5e étage Lot 325-327 CICES VDN, Dakar Sénégal
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons
DEADLINE: September 14, 2021